Search XXDIY Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

B.O.R.E.D.

Two days post-surgery and I'm bored as anything.  I'm trying to think of interesting yet useful things to do so that I don't get in over my head and do something that will hurt me.  Sigh, I've pulled out this...



That, my friends, is a cross stitch.  It's been in my possession for, oh, four years.  What is it?  You may be wondering.  It's a duvet cover (double size).  I fell in love with it when I was looking through a catalog and I simply had to have it.  The room they showed it in was fully furnished and decorated with co-ordinating linens and pillows and I just wanted to jump into the photo for a quick nap.  Red is my favourite colour and nothing seems to go better with red than white, unless it's Christmas and then red and green is a hot contender.  Anyway, I ordered said duvet cover, even though it didn't even go with my current bedroom, and when it arrived I had a look at it and said to myself "Hmmm that faux cross stitch is OK but wouldn't it look much better if it were a REAL cross stitch?"  Yes, the cross stitch pattern was screen printed on the duvet cover and it was perfectly serviceable but I had to go and make it "better".  The pattern on the duvet is a giant sampler, all 26 letters, plus some extra flowers and such.  Four years later and I'm still working on "C"....I started at "A".  Firstly, I don't do cross stitch.  Secondly, this is not a real cross stitch pattern.  It's a screen print of what someone thinks a cross stitch looks like so sometimes the stitches don't match up.  Thirdly, who had time to cross stitch gigantic samplers?  Wish me luck because this particular project easily bores me.  I have on occasion thought of cutting all the stitches off and forgetting the whole thing but, sadly, I do actually like the way it looks in "real" cross stitch much better.  One day, when my daughter grows up and moves out, it might actually be finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment