Search XXDIY Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What a Day!

I cannot believe how slowly this project is going. I am having such trouble keeping within my self imposed deadline. I spent most of today stripping wallpaper in my daughter's bedroom and I was sweating like you would not believe. Yes, I have air conditioning. I have no idea if it actually works because I've never turned it on, but, I do have air conditioning. I'm not sure what the temperature was today but yesterday my car said it was 38 degrees outside. That's without the humidex. It also makes working on any kind of project feel like hell. The room is coming along in fits and starts but it's not what I was hoping for. I should be finished the wallpaper by tonight and that means that I have to start framing the built in bed tomorrow. I'll be completely honest here and admit that using the table saw scares the living daylights out of me. I don't want to do it, which seems silly since I shelled out quite a few bucks to buy the darned thing. I'm afraid of power tools....there, I said it. I know it seems weird for someone who proclaims to enjoy DIY to be afraid of power tools but there you have it.

When I was a teen my dad had me work on something (I have no idea what it was) that involved using a circular saw. I'd never used one before. He showed me how it worked, told me what he wanted and then went upstairs and left me to it. I started my first cut, hit a knot in the wood and the saw kicked back barely missing my arm. I can still feel the adrenaline and shock. He failed to inform me about kick back. I was shaking and he brushed it off with a laugh but I don't think I ever trusted a power tool since then. I haven't ever used a circular saw since (that I can think of). I know I need to "get over it". I know that the tools I have aren't going to randomly start cutting off my limbs and yet, I'm still afraid. It's like when I went to a shooting range and shot a 9mm. When the instructor handed me the gun and the ammunition I loaded it per his instructions and then was frozen in fear as though the thing was going to turn around in my hand and shoot me in the face. Totally irrational. Once I realized that the inanimate object in my hand was a tool like any other and would only do what I wanted it to I was fine. Sigh, I can totally see myself attempting to build this thing with a jig saw (something which I've used many times without error) and a drill. That's not who I want to be. I should really read up on things to avoid when using a table saw and just get it over with. If I practice proper diligence and take my time all will be fine.....after all, it's totally irrelevant that my friend's ex husband cut the tip of his finger off on his table saw, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment